Monday, February 8, 2010

Surf and turf

Thanks to my favorite TV show and last weekend's getaway I've been negligent in keeping up with my Buenos Aires happenings.  We haven't had any blizzards or floods here like my poor friends back north, but things have definitely been wetter with a storm of some kind almost daily.  I've been keeping up my yoga (I'm getting better but a headstand pose almost killed me) and tango.  Both continue to be works in progress.

A couple weekends ago, my pal Pedro organized a rowing excursion for us on a 6 man boat off the coast of Buenos Aires.  He brought along his girlfriend and 2 French buddies who were in town as a stop on their whirlwind tour of the globe.  I give these guys credit, they weren't just traveling to see places, but doing so by the seat of their pants.  They are both in their early 20s and started by leaving for Brazil from France by BOAT.  Yep, they got onto a large sailboat with crew and sailed across the Atlantic till they got to the Northern Brazil.  From there, they switched boats and went down the entire Amazon, criss-crossing Brazil until they came to Buenos Aires.  When I met them, they were in the process of buying a cheap used car to drive south to Patagonia and then back up the Western side of Argentina/Chile, returning to Buenos Aires before they go to the US then Asia.  Maybe not the best idea to buy cheap, used car and then drive it hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere, but I give them credit for ambition.


Here we are getting mentally prepared for our rowing trip:
 
My buddy Pedro on the right and the Brazilian looking ambiguously gay duo are the French guys.  


We might look relaxed but it was the calm before the storm.   Once we got out there we were a well oiled machine with Pedro leading in the front seat and one of the Frenchies counting 16 strokes then switch sides.


From my days of Outward Bound as a 9th grader, my rowing was rusty at best.  Unfortunately, the girl behind me (gf of Pedro's girlfriend) bore the brunt of it as I unknowingly splashed her multiple times. 

After 20 minutes of rowing, we got out to where we could see downtown Buenos Aires.  A really good view of the city:

 
 It looked better in person than the picture.  

We swam a bit and then "surfed" a few waves back to base camp. We brought the boat ashore and felt like we accomplished something even though we only made a big circle in the sea.  


A good job by all and thanks again to Pedro and Nicolas for organizing it all.  I would have made a hell of a coxswain in another life. 

On a different day in the not too distant past, I found myself wandering Palermo after a daytime yoga class.  Palermo here is like a cheaper version of Soho in NYC, with cute little shops and restaurants around most corners.  One of the guys from a previous yoga class told me about the best steakhouse in Buenos Aires called La Cabrera.  I told him that was a high bar to meet, as the steaks at most places around here are excellent quality.  He assured me this one was the top and in my wanderings I stumbled upon it.  I heard it was a madhouse at night, but during the day it was only 3/4 full so I decided to spontaneously give it a try.  

Upon entering, the place was ornately decorated and somewhat formal.  The waiters gave me strange looks as I was more dressed to run a 5km race than dine in a fine establishment, but once they heard my broken spanish I think they just figured I was another confused gringo.  I stuck myself in the corner so as not to offend any of the patrons and ordered the chorizo steak which is their signature porterhouse.

 
  Apologies to my sister and any other vegetarians reading as this part will be graphic for you.  They had this poster in a few different spots of the restaurant.  

 
 They don't waste much in Argentina.  

After a very satisfying empanada out came my steak with about 12 different sauces and accompaniments.  In an effort to make things mildly healthy I ordered a salad too which was delicious.  


Mmmm, now we're talking.  I'm drooling on my keyboard as I write this so dom"t m!nd if eo$^3.sTe@k...

Parts of the steak were a little fatty for me, but all in all it was a solid meal.  On my way back I came across this in front of one of the apartment buildings:
 

Not sure what it's supposed to be, but one of those random pieces of art when you are not expecting it.  That's what makes wandering around a new city fun and unpredictable.  

Congrats to the Saints and all their long suffering fans.  I am very happy for them and that city.  Miami has not had near the recent adversity of New Orleans, but dammit, if the Dolphins ever get their act together and win a title, I will cry like a little boy.  

On that note, I am off on a 5 day trip to Rio for Carnival on Thursday.  If I can get around without getting my camera stolen I promise to have bright and festive pictures of the fiesta grande. 

No comments:

Post a Comment